One of the questions that many families likely have about SoftBums diapers is “Should we choose Echo or Omni?” Echo is Softbums’ trim fit AI2 diaper; Omni is a fuller cut diaper with a pocket opening added inside.
I’m going to give you a quick photo comparison today and offer some guidance in choosing the right style. If you’d like to read my full review of the SoftBums system, including inserts, you can read that here. Today’s post (and giveaway!) is sponsored by our friends at SoftBums.
So, which style is best for your baby?
#1 Consider your baby’s age.
- Newborns fit much better in the trim-fitting Echo diaper.
- Infants and toddlers can use either Echo or Omni, depending on their needs and your preferences (more on this below)
#2 Consider your baby’s needs.
- Active babies and toddlers might like the trim-fitting Echo for daytime, since it’s narrower through the crotch.
- Heavy wetters will benefit from Omni because of the fuller cut and the stuffable, generously-sized pocket.
- Babies who need a nighttime solution may also be a good candidate for Omni because it holds more absorbency.
#3 Consider your personal preferences.
- If you like a trim, AI2 style, Echo fills the bill. Because it’s narrower, I find that the bamboo inserts work better.
- If you like pocket diapers, choose Omni.
- If you are investing in a stash you plan to use for multiple children, snap closure might be a better bet. If you want quick, easier changes, opt for hook and loop.
Does it matter if your baby is skinny or chunky? Well, that’s one of the great things about the SoftBums system. The adjustable leg elastics give you a comfortable, customized fit no matter which style (Echo or Omni) you’re using, and no matter what body type your baby has.
If you are new to SoftBums, my recommendation would be to get a few shells in the style that seems to fit your needs best using the guidelines above, and then purchase just one of the other style, so you can at least try it.
And now for some photo illustrations!
Here’s our newborn, Mary Kate, in SoftBums Echo with a small DryTouch pod. The hook and loop closure is my preference at this stage for quick changes and a very snug fit. SoftBums hook and loop is of very good quality compared to some other brands we’ve tried over the years.
Here’s Mary Kate at 1 month old, still wearing SoftBums Echo, with 2 small DryTouch pods laid top of each other.
At 4 months, she’s still wearing Echo but has graduated to the adjustable one-size Bamboo Super Pod.
Here is my daughter, Ingrid, at 16 months wearing the Omni stuffed with a one-size DryTouch Super Pod.
This is Erik at almost 3 years old, also wearing Omni with a one-size DryTouch Super Pod.
As you can see, Echo’s do not have to be put away as your child grows. He or she can enjoy the trim fit even into the toddler years. Here’s Ingrid in her Santa Pants:
Before we get to the giveaway, SoftBums is having a big 4th of July sale. Here are the details:
And now for the giveaway!
Giveaway Details: On July 6th at 10 AM CST, Softbums will reveal the newest print release on social media. Be sure to RSVP for the release party! I can’t tell you what the print is yet, but I can promise you that what we got in the mail is cute, colorful and fresh. Hmmmmm, that’s all I can say for now.
UPDATE: The new print is called Veg-o-Matic. Learning to like your fruits and vegetables was never so cute!
This new gender-neutral print will be available in hook and loop, in both Echo and Omni. And you have a chance to win it right here! Just use the entry form below. Winner chooses either an Echo or Omni shell. Open to US residents only. Good luck!