Diaper Rite brand products are sold exclusively at Diaper Junction. This is a brand I trust for consistent quality and great prices; we regularly use the covers, regular pocket diapers, cotton doublers, flat diapers and AIO’s. Today, my review is of something new: the Diaper Rite bamboo pocket diaper. I bought the “Rock It” print which is a bright and happy gender-neutral design:
Here are the basic features of the Diaper Rite bamboo pocket:
- Waterproof TPU outer
- Inner velour lining of 55% bamboo/25% cotton/20% polyester
- Two microfiber (80% poly/20% nylon) inserts, one small (5.5×12) and one large (5.5×14)
- Waterproof strip of TPU on the inside top of the waistband for extra leak protection
- Fits babies from 8 to 35 pounds by means of an adjustable, snapping rise
- The wings close with double snaps
- Back elastic
- Retail price is $11.95
Like our other Diaper Rite products, the bamboo pocket fits really well. The outer fabric is smooth and soft, it doesn’t bunch up or sag, and the leg openings aren’t too loose or too snug. I really like the stretchy wings and double snap fasteners, although they sometimes curl back at the edges.
I can use this diaper overnight for Erik with the large and small insert stuffed inside. This may or may not work for your baby. He is an average to moderate wetter, so the two microfiber pads hold him just fine. The good news is that with a generous pocket opening, you can stuff the Diaper Rite bamboo diaper with whatever you want (hemp comes to mind for a heavy wetter, and Diaper Rite also has bamboo doublers for $3.49 that will fit perfectly into this diaper)..
When I first saw “bamboo pocket diaper” on the list of new Diaper Rite products, I was intrigued and bought it so quickly I didn’t even read the description. So when the diaper arrived and had microfiber inserts it definitely aroused my curiosity. The bamboo is only in the lining of the diaper. After a minute of reflection, I realized that by using microfiber inserts instead of 100% bamboo inserts, Diaper Rite is able to keep the cost of this diaper down to $11.95. Other bamboo pocket diapers on the market are $15 to $25. With this one you can get some of the benefits of bamboo (a soft, silky fabric against your baby’s skin and an extra layer of absorption) without a high price tag.
As I mentioned above, you stuff whatever you like inside if microfiber isn’t your thing. Whether you use the synthetic inserts or not, the fact remains that you get an adorable, great-fitting bamboo-lined pocket diaper for under 12 bucks.
What I Like Best
- The bamboo velour lining is silky soft
- The waterproof TPU outer is softer than PUL
- Unlike “stay dry” microfleece or microsuede, the velour lining of this diaper is actually absorbent, so you get an extra layer of protection. If your regular pockets are not quite thirsty enough, this diaper might have the edge you need.
- Including microfiber inserts instead of bamboo inserts makes this the most affordable bamboo pocket diaper on the market
- It is versatile. Use it day or night. The pocket opening holds everything from prefolds to flats to microfiber, bamboo and hemp inserts. You can even use it as a bamboo-lined diaper cover.
What I Didn’t Like So Much
- The velour lining stains more easily than microfleece or microsuede
- The diaper is wide through the crotch; this may or may not be a drawback. It means you get a bigger opening to stuff things in (and fit your hand into), but it also means a little more bulk between the legs.
Here are some photos showing the fit on two different ages. Ingrid is 8 months old, about 15 pounds, on the short side but with fat little legs! Because she’s a smaller baby, I just use one insert (day time only). The rise is snapped down to the smallest setting.
Erik is two years old, about 27 pounds and a bit skinny for a toddler. He can wear it with 1 or 2 inserts inside. The rise is snapped completely open on the largest setting.
Thanks for reading my review of the new Diaper Rite bamboo pocket diaper!
One of you will win a diaper in your choice of color or print. Enter the giveaway using the Rafflecopter entry form below. This giveaway is open to US and Canadian residents and ends April 6th. Good luck!