My thanks to Lil Helper for sending a diaper package in exchange for a review!
Lil Helper cloth diapers were designed to help families save time and money. Owners
Mohammed and Nader are former aerospace engineers who, in my opinion, have put their skills to use in a very unique way by designing the Lil Helper system. It’s super smart and sustainable. Every Lil Helper diaper is a one-size AI2 (all-in-two). That means:
- The pieces are interchangeable so you can diaper just the way you like. The different inserts will snap into any of their brightly colored outer shells.
- You can re-use the shells if only the inserts get soiled or wet. Simply snap in a fresh one.
- You can adjust the size from birth to potty training and save tons of money.
- You can customize the absorbency by using one insert, or two.
- You (or your husband) will never have to stuff diapers or pull yukky/wet inserts out of pockets.
A closer look at the Original (red) and Charcoal Bamboo (blue) opened up:
Here are the three options you have when buying Lil Helper diapers:
1. Original – Outer layer is waterproof PUL and is lined inside with white microfleece – retail $19.95
2. Organic Bamboo – Outer layer is waterproof PUL and is lined inside with organic bamboo – retail $22.95
3. Charcoal Bamboo – Outer layer is a waterproof PUL/bamboo blend and is lined inside with organic charcoal bamboo – retail $24.95
And as mentioned above, you can use any of their inserts with these three different diapers. Inserts include:
1. Original Cotton – pack of two includes one small and one large, made of unbleached cotton and micro terry, retail $7.95
2. Original Bamboo – pack of two includes one small and one large, made of organic bamboo and micro terry, retail $8.95
3. Charcoal Bamboo – pack of two includes one small and one large, made of super thirsty charcoal bamboo and micro terry, retail $9.95 – these inserts just might become your overnight solution
Here’s the red Original on Samuel. I love this cherry red color! (It looks really cute on Susanna, too). And the diaper is soft, trim, absorbent and adorable. As an engineer might say, we’re definitely firing on all cylinders here.
I don’t unsnap the inserts when I wash the diapers. They can be washed together and this really makes cleaning up a breeze. It also means you can pull the diaper out of the dryer and put it right back on baby again because the inserts are already attached. Little shortcuts like that mean a great deal to me. As most of you know, I have a lot on my plate these days with homeschooling, blogging, housekeeping and incubating baby #7, who is due to arrive in 6 weeks. (And if Samuel doesn’t potty train in that time, we’ll have three in cloth – ackk!!).
My favorite Lil Helper diaper of the two we tried is the Charcoal Bamboo with either the gray inserts or the organic bamboo inserts. The gray liners feel just like fleece and are very soft and cozy. Bonus: the gray color hides stains really well.
I found that the cotton liners that were included with the Original diaper bunched up a bit after washing; the bamboo ones stayed nice and flat. After contacting Lil Helper about this, Mohammed assured me it was a known issue and that it was being addressed in the next batch of liners to be produced. Already they are remedying this by pre-washing their cotton and bamboo liners to eliminate the shrinking/bunching. And the new liners in production don’t bunch at all. Excellent news!I like our Lil Helper wet bag a lot, too. It holds about 3 dirty diapers, so we use it for car trips and errands. The hanging loop is a nice feature and the bag is double-stitched to guard against leaks. A bigger zipper pull to grab onto would be a nice perk, but the way it’s designed now is certainly functional.
And finally, the bamboo wipes! They are a generous 8×8 size. One layer is microfiber and the other is bamboo terry. This makes for a very soft, plush wipe. In fact, they are so squishy and such a nice size that I’ve been using them as washcloths for Susanna in the bath tub. A 5-pack retails for $11.95.
Not like you would need more reasons to look Lil Helper diapers up, but I thought I would mention:
- They are giving back. For every 3 diapers you purchase, Lil Helper donates a brand new diaper to a needy Canadian family through their Baby Do Good program.
- Every customer is a VIP. Yes, even if you just have questions and aren’t even ready to buy. Mohammed is super prompt, completely down-to-earth and up front, and will sometimes get back with you in just a few hours. Service is HUGE to me. I will definitely pay more for a diaper if it comes with super star customer service, 24/7 support and a no-hassle return policy (yes, they have that, too).
* Shop for Lil Helpers *
You can start browsing and shopping right at the Lil Helper website
They have extended their Black Friday sale until November 30th.
That means you can buy 3 diapers GET 1 FREE and still have one more donated to charity!
Use promo code “blackfriday” at checkout
Shipping for purchases over $79 is always FREE for both Canadian and U.S. customers
* Enter to Win *