Rumparooz (RaR, as fans often say) is a well-known, designed in the USA, cloth diapering brand. My experience so far had been limited to the newborn cover, which we used on Erik. This year, I’ve been trying out the one-size Rumparooz cover on Erik (who is almost 3) and Ingrid (13 months).
Here are the basic features of the Rumparooz one-size diaper cover:
- It’s made of waterproof thermally-bonded PUL.
- Both the back and the front of the waistband are elasticized.
- The inside is wipeable, which means you can reuse it a few times if it isn’t soiled with #2.
- The rise features 3 rows of snaps, which translates to 4 size settings (three snapped up and one completely open).
- The wings close with double snaps.
- Currently available in about 40 (yes you read that right!) different colors and prints, in snap or hook & loop closure
- Retail price is $14.00
- There are double gussets around the legs (a second, inner elasticized band)
- Warranty: 6 months
The print I chose is called Invader and has a retro-gamer design. Rumparooz diapers have a cute, molded plastic tag with the signature jumping kangaroo. Very cute!
Looking at the cover opened up, you can see there’s extra PUL fabric on the inside where the snaps are placed. There’s also a little waterproof patch that is placed right where the tag is sewn on, presumably to protect against wicking through the seams.
Here are pictures of the cover opened up at four different sizes, with different sizes of flats and prefolds for comparison:
Sizing: I would estimate the four rise settings to be small, medium, large and extra large. As mentioned above, Rumparooz does have a separate newborn cover.
Overall, the Rumparooz runs true to size in terms of a one-size diaper. Just like the newborn cover we used on Erik, however, there is a lot of extra fabric in the rear. As with other one-size diapers, you may have to wait a while for this one-size cover to fit and perform well on a petite or very thin baby. However, it also means Rumparooz is a brand I would highly recommend for chunky babies, for toddlers, and for wearing over thick diapers.
Fit: I like how the Rumparooz cover fits overall, but could do without the front elastic. On my smaller children, even after I get this cover fitting correctly, there’s still extra fabric in the rear and around the legs that sacrifices some visual appeal. Double snaps at the waist mean you can adjust around the legs and tummy separately. The PUL is very soft and pliable and the wings have a lot of stretch.
Here’s the Rumparooz cover on my two little ones. Ingrid is 13 months and short, but has very chubby legs and a round little tummy. The Rumparooz comfortably hugs all her little rolls just fine. 🙂
Erik’s my slim little toddler, who will be 3 this December. He’s wearing the rise at what I call “extra large,” with the cover completely unsnapped.
You can shop for Rumparooz diapers at many diaper stores; here a few of my affiliates:
And here’s a quick summary of my thoughts on the Rumparooz one-size cover.
WHAT I LIKE BEST:
- The elastic is very strong while at the same time the leg openings are snug and comfortable.
- The thermally-bonded PUL is soft and pliable; the inside of the cover doesn’t feel sticky.
- The double snaps at the waist help to keep the wings from curling back, and the wings stretch generously for a good fit.
- The double gussets are great at holding in number two messes.
- The quality is outstanding, prints and colors are bright and appealing
- They are made in the USA.
- It’s a roomy cover that fits well over fitteds, prefolds, flats or whatever else I feel like putting inside.
- It’s performed great overnight with no leaking.
WHAT I DIDN’T LIKE AS MUCH: The front elastic is my least favorite feature on this cover because the fabric puckers and doesn’t stay flat. For us, it hasn’t improved fit or function because neither Erik nor Ingrid have the messy blow outs that come up the front of the diaper like in their early nursing days. But I do know that many mothers like the front elastic feature on a diaper. Since there aren’t any flaps in this cover to hold padfolded diapers or inserts in place, so I’ve found it performs much better when we’re using fitteds, or when we fasten the diapers on them a Boingo or Snappi.
As if there wasn’t already a huge selection of prints and colors, Rumparooz just recently announced yet another one! It’s an exclusive print to be revealed this Thursday, September 17th. UPDATE: Here it is!! A navy nautical print called “Admiral.”
Enter my giveaway for a Rumparooz one-size cover in your choice of in-stock prints and colors at Nickis’ Diapers! Open to my readers in both US and Canada. Good luck!