Last week, Smart Bottoms released three new colors in their “Born Smart” newborn AIO: Lil Monster (purple and orange), Limelight (green and purple) and Crushin’ It (orange and green). I received a diaper to review on newborn Ingrid!
Here again are the specs:
- 1 sewn-in organic cotton interior soaker plus a snap-in organic cotton soaker
- Colorful waterproof PUL outer with an umbilical cord cutout
- One additional set of snaps on the rise to give your newborn some extra growing room
- Inner pocket for extra absorbency, if desired
- Fits babies 6 to 16 pounds
- Retails for $18
Since the inner layers are made of organic cotton, I prepped this diaper like I would a prefold – with several hot washes. It took about six to reach full absorbency. To save energy, I prepped/washed it with my other diaper laundry, and then also a few times with my white loads (towels, underwear, socks, etc.).
What I Like:
- The AIO style is so convenient when you’re busy with a newborn; nothing to fold or stuff.
- It’s made in the USA.
- The organic cotton soakers are very soft and smooth.
- Drying time is normal since the soakers are not both sewn in the diaper.
- The umbilical cord cutout fit just right under Ingrid’s belly button.
- The second set of rise snaps allows your newborn to wear it longer.
- The leg elastics are very gentle while still fitting snugly (note: you have to make sure no cotton material is peeking out the sides or moisture may wick out of the leg openings)
- The inserts stay put in the wash so you don’t have to re-attach them. To me, this helps the diaper truly live up to being an AIO.
What I Would Change:
- A hook and loop option for even quicker changes might be nice. Although I love snap diapers, velcro closure works great for squirmy, skinny little newborns.
- More absorbency was needed for Ingrid if she wore this diaper for over 2-3 hours. Fortunately, the inner pocket opening makes it easy to add a small doubler from your stash. Compared to a flat inside of a newborn cover, the Smart One is less absorbent, but this is usually the case with AIO diapers. They are convenient and easy to use, but you’ll sacrifice a little in terms of absorbency.
In addition to the 3 new colors, the Born Smart AIO is also available in Flamingo (pink), Bluebird (light blue), Duckling (pale yellow), Emerson (plaid print) and Ella (floral print). You can purchase online at Smart Bottoms or at participating retailers.